Game Based Learning is precisely what it is, the use of games to facilitate learning. Games designed with learning in mind can enable players to learn about problem-solving, teamwork, communication, and decision-making (Falciana, 2020). By applying situations into a game with measurable progress or achievements, which can motivate or encourage progress. Examples of achievements in games can include points systems, leaderboards, and scores (Falciana, 2020). There are different possible kinds of games, some of which can be focused on an entertainment purpose, but others that specifically apply or translate a ‘real-life’ situation onto a digital format.

Games have been common in my learning experience, both as ways to introduce topics, demonstrate learned understanding, and even as icebreakers to help acquaint fellow students. A first example that comes to mind is Kahoot, which encouraged interactive a competitive learning. Students can guess answers in a time-competitive and points based environment Also, back in early High School, to introduce the topic of the European Middle Ages, as well as to spur discussion of the popularity of violence in the study of history, my Social Studies teacher used Medieval II: Total War. Another different example was when I used the video game The Deer to introduce environment and biology to younger students. The game utilized basic progression elements and decisions to highlight certain species and environments (e.g. pine trees, birds, and deer; food, food cycles, and seasons; and alpine, boreal, tundra, and forest biomes) to the students. With the advent of newer technologies, such as the VR, AR, and mixed realities, as well as easier access to mobile devices and in-class computers, I would expect there to be more advancement of games in education settings. Furthermore, with the growth of the gaming industry in recent years, I wouldn’t be surprised if education focused on designing games purely for games becomes more and more accessible.

Falciani, L. (2020, November 27). Game-Based Learning > What Is, GBL vs Gamification, Types, Benefits. Europass Teacher Academy. https://www.teacheracademy.eu/blog/game-based-learning/.